The Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi or Chrysopigi founded in the mid 16th century by the doctor John Chartofylakas, on the southeast of the city of Chania, is at the oldest monastery position. Its shape is a rectangle and the cells of the monks and the rest buildings are built around the monastery. The temple, a triconch domed church, is dedicated to the Virgin Zoodochos Pigi and it is located in the middle of the complex. The east side of the monastery was built after the year1745, while the nave and the two chapels of the church are additions of the19th century.
In 1584, is located the first testimony for the monastery and it refers to a letter of Patriarch Meletius Pegas of Alexandria to the monk Dionysios of Chrisopigi, while during the next decades Chartofylakas with letters addressed to the Venetian administration will request the permission to dedicate his land to the monastery. During the Venetian occupation the monastery will grow economically and spiritually as they come in contact with Cyril Loukari, Patriarch of Alexandria.
In 1645, Philotheos Skoufos- the abbot of the monastery with 34 monks fought against the Ottomans and the monastery was not destroyed during the war. In 1654 it acquired a stavropegic value and in 1681 joined the Monastery of Agios Eleftherios. In the following years, until the revolution of 1821, the monastery will still grow economically and in that period will acquire a large number monastery dependencies, olive groves and vineyards. The brotherhood of the monastery will participate in the revolution and will be forced to abandon it. The monastery dependences were abandoned and the monastery was set on fire.
The first monks will return in 1838, while the seat of the monastery, which was transferred in 1826 to the Monastery of Agios Eleftherios, will return in 1848. Since then begun a period of reconstruction of the monastery to repair the damage, but also to build new buildings. In the revolution of 1897 was run for a second time a serious risk, but the complex of the monastery suffered no serious damage. In the 20th century the monastery began to decline. The monks were forced to abandon it, because it turned into the German headquarters.
In 1976 it was converted to a female monastery and was fundamentally restored from the new fraternity, which still continues the important social and cultural life of this historic monastic institution.