Archaeological Museum of Chania

Archaeological Museum of Chania

The Archaeological Museum of Chania has been housed since 1962 in the monastery of Saint Francis of the Franciscans. It includes a rich material, which records the historical course of the prefecture from prehistoric ((3rd and 2nd millennium BC) to the Roman period (3rd century AD).

The church of St. Nestor Keramia

The church of St. Nestor (Keramia)

The church of St. Nestor is located in the village of Katochori, ex Keramia and its foundation is dated to the late Venetian period. Is an example of the western ecclesiastical architecture with gothic character.


Stivanadika in Srydlof Street are one of the most popular and commercial streets of Chania. It received this nickname from the workshops of stivania (boots) and leather products that were previously there. Today is a pole of attraction for tourists offering handicrafts, souvenirs and traditional products.

Agios Georgios Koumpeli

Built in a small cove west of Cape Meleha, the church of St. George Koumpeli was the Catholic of a large monastic complex of the Venetian period. It was probably destroyed in 1645 during the siege of the city of Chania by the Ottomans. Today survives only the church.

The Church of Agios Eleftherios

The church of Agios Eleftherios is located in present Gavaladon Street. Is an Orthodox church, and its foundation dates back to the late Venetian period. During the Ottoman rule was used as oil warehouse and has undergone significant changes. Today it has been acquired and restored by the Archaeological Service.

The church of Agia Irini

The Orthodox church of Agia Irini is situated in a private residence built in the Kallinikou Sarpaki Square. It is a two-transept vaulted church, which has undergone several changes over time. Expropriated by the Archaeological Department and now operates as a chapel.

Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Collection of Chania

In the northwestern corner of the Venetian fortifications within the Venetian Catholic Church of San Salvatore of the Franciscans it is housed the Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Collection of Chania.

The Government House Complex

The complex of the Venetian Government House, called Palazzo, located at the northern end of Kastelli, at the end of the road Lithinon. Today survives the ground floor and part of the floor, while on the side of the road Lithinon survives the doorframe on which is written the date 1624. Near this, it was […]

Mediterranean Architecture Centre (Big Shipyard)

It is the last building to the west of a complex of 17 shipyards of the Venetian harbor of Chania. Founded in 1585 and during its operation housed theatrical plays, was used as a school of Christian community as a public hospital, but also as the town hall. Today it houses the Center of Mediterranean […]