Tour of the Monuments

Church of St. Rocco


It is preserved in good condition in the northwest corner of Splantzia square, near the church of Agios Nikolaos. It consists of two arched aisles of different shapes, of which the northern one was the oldest, a simple construction without any decoration.

On the contrary, the south aisle has been built entirely of carved masonry, according to the architectural concepts of Venetian Mannerism. It is a building with accentuated joints in the pesses, which ends on its narrow sides in a triangular pediment, without a cornice. The main west face has the vertical axis accentuated by a doorway, a rectangular frame for an inscription and a round skylight.

On the south side, the center occupies a doorway with a triangular pediment and two large windows. Under the cornice there is an inscription: “Dedicated to the excellent and greatest God and to the Divine Rocco. 1630”. The inscription D(IVO) ROCCO (to Uncle Rocco) is also present on the front. The temple seems to have been built after some plague epidemic from which, as is known, Saint Roccos protected.


Relative Posts

The headquarters Venizelos / Therisos Movement Headquarters

So called the headquarters of the Revolutionary Assembly in 1905, in Therisos, which organized the homonymous revolution against the authoritarian rule of the High Commissioner George. Nowadays, the building has been converted into a museum for the exposition of weapons, objects from that period and evidence of the revolutionary action of Eleftherios Venizelos.

The Garden Clock

The Clock stands on the north-eastern side of the Garden and is one of the most characteristic recent monuments of the city. It was built in the period 1924-1927 to plans by D. Kollarou, has a tripartite structure and its roof is formed into a circular pavilion. Today it is inextricably linked to the historical route of the Garden and is a symbol and an integral part of it.

Venizelio Conservatory

The Venizelio Conservatory of Chania is located on Nikiforo Fokas Street and is housed in a privately owned neoclassical building founded in 1931 at the expense of Elena Venizelou. It has a theater hall, with a stage and a balcony, with a capacity of about 300 seats and belongs to the “Association for the dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete”. Today it hosts DI.PE.THE. of Crete and the mixed Choir of Chania.