Tour of the Monuments

Firkas Fortress


The fortress at the north-west end of the harbour, which retains the Turkish name Firka (barracks), was built to protect the entrance to the harbour. A chain from Firkas to the base of the lighthouse closed the harbor in case of a siege. In the fortress was the headquarters of the Military Commander of the city. Internally, the space was configured into barracks and warehouses of war material. In the doorway of the first floor there is the inscription “ALOYSIUS BRACADEUS PROVISOR CYDONIAE M.DCXX”.

The buildings of the west wing are arranged on two floors with vaulted rooms. In about the middle of the courtyard there is a large tank that collected the water from the roofs. During the years of the Turkish occupation and until relatively recently, Firkas was used as a barracks, but also as a prison. On December 1, 1913, in an official ceremony, the Greek flag of the Union of Crete with Greece was raised in the corner turret – watchtower of the fortress. Present were the then King of Greece Constantine, Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos, admiral Kountouriotis, the surviving fighters – chieftains of the Cretan Revolutions and crowds of people.

This anniversary is commemorated every year with the organization of a similar official ceremony and the Greek flag is symbolically hung again on the mast of the fortress.


Relative Posts

The headquarters Venizelos / Therisos Movement Headquarters

So called the headquarters of the Revolutionary Assembly in 1905, in Therisos, which organized the homonymous revolution against the authoritarian rule of the High Commissioner George. Nowadays, the building has been converted into a museum for the exposition of weapons, objects from that period and evidence of the revolutionary action of Eleftherios Venizelos.

The Garden Clock

The Clock stands on the north-eastern side of the Garden and is one of the most characteristic recent monuments of the city. It was built in the period 1924-1927 to plans by D. Kollarou, has a tripartite structure and its roof is formed into a circular pavilion. Today it is inextricably linked to the historical route of the Garden and is a symbol and an integral part of it.

Venizelio Conservatory

The Venizelio Conservatory of Chania is located on Nikiforo Fokas Street and is housed in a privately owned neoclassical building founded in 1931 at the expense of Elena Venizelou. It has a theater hall, with a stage and a balcony, with a capacity of about 300 seats and belongs to the “Association for the dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete”. Today it hosts DI.PE.THE. of Crete and the mixed Choir of Chania.