Tour of the Monuments



The low hill of Kastelli, to the east of the port, was an ideal location for the establishment of a prehistoric settlement of ancient Kydonia, not only because it is adjacent to the sea, but also because it is surrounded by the rich Chaniotiko plain. The pottery of the transitional Neolithic period (3,000-2,900 BC) is the earliest evidence of human activity on this hill.

In the position of Kydonia, which continued to maintain its strategic importance and on the Kastelli hill, a fortress was later built by the Byzantines, which in many places stands on the ancient wall and has been constructed from the building materials of ancient Kydonia.

In 1252 the city and the prefecture were divided into 90 “cavalaria” and given to the Venetian colonists with the explicit obligation to rebuild the city of Chania. They repaired the wall of Kastelli and organized the city within its boundaries. Within the fortified enclosure, which is being repaired, a new town is being built with a modern town plan, beautiful public and private buildings. The public buildings are developed along the main road (corso – today’s Kanevaro Street) that crosses Kastelli from the east.

The mansions of the oldest Venetian families were concentrated in Kastelli, built with the influence of modern trends and especially that of Venetian Mannerism, as it was formed from the 16th century. There was also the magnificent Venetian cathedral, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which was destroyed during the bombings of 1941.

The main families of the Turkish Cretans lived in this quarter, who added their own characteristics to the area. In Kastelli, there were gates to the east and west and a third narrow gate to the south, with steps, which remained with the name “The Steps”.


Relative Posts

The headquarters Venizelos / Therisos Movement Headquarters

So called the headquarters of the Revolutionary Assembly in 1905, in Therisos, which organized the homonymous revolution against the authoritarian rule of the High Commissioner George. Nowadays, the building has been converted into a museum for the exposition of weapons, objects from that period and evidence of the revolutionary action of Eleftherios Venizelos.

The Garden Clock

The Clock stands on the north-eastern side of the Garden and is one of the most characteristic recent monuments of the city. It was built in the period 1924-1927 to plans by D. Kollarou, has a tripartite structure and its roof is formed into a circular pavilion. Today it is inextricably linked to the historical route of the Garden and is a symbol and an integral part of it.

Venizelio Conservatory

The Venizelio Conservatory of Chania is located on Nikiforo Fokas Street and is housed in a privately owned neoclassical building founded in 1931 at the expense of Elena Venizelou. It has a theater hall, with a stage and a balcony, with a capacity of about 300 seats and belongs to the “Association for the dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete”. Today it hosts DI.PE.THE. of Crete and the mixed Choir of Chania.