Tour of the Monuments

Large family rock-hewn tomb discovered in “Em. Mathioulaki” excavation


Large family rock-hewn tomb discovered in “Em. Mathioulaki” excavation in 1981 It belongs to the Hellenistic cemetery of Kydonia (end of 4th – mid 3rd century B.C.) and it is underground. A long road (length 5.80 m and 1.00 m wide) with 15 steps leads to the entrance of the tomb. The tomb consists of a rectangular chamber with a vaulted ceiling surrounded by nine burial chambers with doors, four on each side and one in the chamber’s end. On the top of each door were written in charcoal or were engraved inscriptions with the names of the dead.

In total, 15 dead with Cretan names were buried there, five men, seven women and three children. The dead were buried with personal staff in accordance with the burial customs of the time, such as lamps, pottery, alabaster, mirrors gold jewelry, toys, etc. The tomb reveals the relationship of the city with the Hellenistic Alexandria. Corresponding tombs have been found in the necropolis of Fayoum and Bead. The presence of several graves of that shape is related Kydonia and may indicate the existence of a particular social class who had close relations with Alexandria of the Ptolemies.


Relative Posts

The headquarters Venizelos / Therisos Movement Headquarters

So called the headquarters of the Revolutionary Assembly in 1905, in Therisos, which organized the homonymous revolution against the authoritarian rule of the High Commissioner George. Nowadays, the building has been converted into a museum for the exposition of weapons, objects from that period and evidence of the revolutionary action of Eleftherios Venizelos.

The Garden Clock

The Clock stands on the north-eastern side of the Garden and is one of the most characteristic recent monuments of the city. It was built in the period 1924-1927 to plans by D. Kollarou, has a tripartite structure and its roof is formed into a circular pavilion. Today it is inextricably linked to the historical route of the Garden and is a symbol and an integral part of it.

Venizelio Conservatory

The Venizelio Conservatory of Chania is located on Nikiforo Fokas Street and is housed in a privately owned neoclassical building founded in 1931 at the expense of Elena Venizelou. It has a theater hall, with a stage and a balcony, with a capacity of about 300 seats and belongs to the “Association for the dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete”. Today it hosts DI.PE.THE. of Crete and the mixed Choir of Chania.