HISTORICAL OVERVIEW

HISTORICAL OVERVIEW

OF THE CITY OF CHANIA

Tour of the Monuments

The Byzantine Wall

text-divider

The original fortification of the city of Chania, the one that surrounds the hill of Kastelli, has been founded on the remains of an older fortification from the Hellenistic times. Most of the Byzantine wall was built with second-use construction material from ancient Kydonia. Its outline is irregular and consists of straight sections, interrupted by small rectangular or polygonal towers.

The wall in some places simply complements the natural rock fortress, while from the south and part of the east and west sides, it completely covers the need to protect the city. In the wall there were four gates which have been demolished today. The two main gates were the western one towards Syntrivaniou square and the eastern one at the intersection of Canevaros and Daskalogianni streets. The other two smaller ones were one on the south side, at the junction of Katre and Karaoli-Dimitriou streets, and one on the north, at the height of the turkish prisons towards Afenduliyev street.

text-divider

Relative Posts

The headquarters Venizelos / Therisos Movement Headquarters

So called the headquarters of the Revolutionary Assembly in 1905, in Therisos, which organized the homonymous revolution against the authoritarian rule of the High Commissioner George. Nowadays, the building has been converted into a museum for the exposition of weapons, objects from that period and evidence of the revolutionary action of Eleftherios Venizelos.

The Garden Clock

The Clock stands on the north-eastern side of the Garden and is one of the most characteristic recent monuments of the city. It was built in the period 1924-1927 to plans by D. Kollarou, has a tripartite structure and its roof is formed into a circular pavilion. Today it is inextricably linked to the historical route of the Garden and is a symbol and an integral part of it.

Venizelio Conservatory

The Venizelio Conservatory of Chania is located on Nikiforo Fokas Street and is housed in a privately owned neoclassical building founded in 1931 at the expense of Elena Venizelou. It has a theater hall, with a stage and a balcony, with a capacity of about 300 seats and belongs to the “Association for the dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete”. Today it hosts DI.PE.THE. of Crete and the mixed Choir of Chania.