Tour of the Monuments

Venetian dockyards


During the Venetian Occupation (1204-1669) the need for a closer presence of the Venetian fleet in Crete forced Venice to build Neoria (arsenali), where the ships were repaired during the winter.

As early as 1467, Venice ordered the construction of a number of new buildings, two each for the cities of Chania and Rethymnon. The first two neoria in Chania were completed only in 1526. In 1593, the 16 neoria were already built, but they needed repair. In 1599, the southern complex was completed with the construction of the 17th neorio. In 1607, in parallel with the extension of the north-eastern rampart, the construction of five more neoria, known as Moro’s Neoria, after the name of the General Forecaster who proposed it, begins at the mouth of the port to the east. Of these, two were completed and the walls built up to the beginning of the arch of the third. Later, this third new building was covered with a simple tile roof, which collapsed from the bombings of 1941.

During the years of the Turkish occupation, the lack of maintenance of the port and the degradation of its role led to the abandonment of the original use of the marinas and their conversion mainly into military warehouses. Of the large group of 17 neoria, nine were gradually demolished. Today there is a group of seven consecutive domes and one further west, the Great Arsenali (today the Center for Mediterranean Architecture). From the complex of Moro, two are preserved intact, in the mouth of the port.

In their original form the neoria were open to the sea side, which penetrated inside them up to a point in order to allow boats to be towed. They were vaulted and communicated with each other with arched openings in the thickness of the masonry. The entrance to the neoria was through two gates: one on the south side of the 9th neoria and another on the west of the 17th. Neoria are about 50 m long, 9 m wide and 10 m high on average. On the south side there are also the unique lighting openings – one round skylight and two large windows each. The main entrance to the complex was approximately in the middle, at the current end of Daskalogianni Street, where the western half of the majestic gate is also preserved.

The stone building of the new customs office of Chania was built on the site of the demolished youth centers, which today is surrounded by two squares.


Relative Posts

The headquarters Venizelos / Therisos Movement Headquarters

So called the headquarters of the Revolutionary Assembly in 1905, in Therisos, which organized the homonymous revolution against the authoritarian rule of the High Commissioner George. Nowadays, the building has been converted into a museum for the exposition of weapons, objects from that period and evidence of the revolutionary action of Eleftherios Venizelos.

The Garden Clock

The Clock stands on the north-eastern side of the Garden and is one of the most characteristic recent monuments of the city. It was built in the period 1924-1927 to plans by D. Kollarou, has a tripartite structure and its roof is formed into a circular pavilion. Today it is inextricably linked to the historical route of the Garden and is a symbol and an integral part of it.

Venizelio Conservatory

The Venizelio Conservatory of Chania is located on Nikiforo Fokas Street and is housed in a privately owned neoclassical building founded in 1931 at the expense of Elena Venizelou. It has a theater hall, with a stage and a balcony, with a capacity of about 300 seats and belongs to the “Association for the dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete”. Today it hosts DI.PE.THE. of Crete and the mixed Choir of Chania.