Tour of the Monuments

Gate and Bastion Sabbionara


“… From the rampart Santa Lucia the wall turns on the north towards the sea where the visitor can see the only gate saved of the Venetian Walls, Porta Sabbionara = the Gate of Sand. The Turkish name of Kum Kapisi gave the name of Koum Kapi to the eastern part of the city, outside of the wall. The Venetian Gate is preserved in a good condition, it should be mentioned though that it has been modified significantly during the Turkish period.

After a contemporary restoration nowadays it is used as an exhibition space. On the top of the south part of the Gate it is preserved, in a good condition, a part of the homonym rampart Sabbionara.
On the other side of the “Gate of Sand” there is the rampart Mocenigo. Rampart Mocenigo is built inside the sea. In its “orecione” there are built in, the winged lion of Sant Marc in a medal and four crests, with the indication of the date 1591. During the period of the Cretan State in the rampart Mocenigo there was the building of the Cretan Constabulary which has been demolished. …”


Relative Posts

The headquarters Venizelos / Therisos Movement Headquarters

So called the headquarters of the Revolutionary Assembly in 1905, in Therisos, which organized the homonymous revolution against the authoritarian rule of the High Commissioner George. Nowadays, the building has been converted into a museum for the exposition of weapons, objects from that period and evidence of the revolutionary action of Eleftherios Venizelos.

The Garden Clock

The Clock stands on the north-eastern side of the Garden and is one of the most characteristic recent monuments of the city. It was built in the period 1924-1927 to plans by D. Kollarou, has a tripartite structure and its roof is formed into a circular pavilion. Today it is inextricably linked to the historical route of the Garden and is a symbol and an integral part of it.

Venizelio Conservatory

The Venizelio Conservatory of Chania is located on Nikiforo Fokas Street and is housed in a privately owned neoclassical building founded in 1931 at the expense of Elena Venizelou. It has a theater hall, with a stage and a balcony, with a capacity of about 300 seats and belongs to the “Association for the dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete”. Today it hosts DI.PE.THE. of Crete and the mixed Choir of Chania.