Tour of the Monuments

Piatta Forma Bastion


The Piatta Forma Bastion was built in the middle of the south side of the Venetian fortifications. It was in front of the Bastion of Santa Lucia to the east and of the bastion of St. Dimitrios to the west, while it was protecting the main city gate, the Porta Retimiotta (the gate of Rethymno). It had a rectangular shape and a salient into the trench.

On both sides there were two high rampart built with strong walls. The eastern rampart was called Santa Maria, from the monastery of Santa Maria della Missericordia on Hatzi Michalis Ntaliani Street, and the western one was called San Giovanni, from the name of the other church.

During the Cretan State the need of integration of the old and new city led to the demolition of this bastion. The demolition was decided in 1903 and began in 1908 for the construction of the Municipal Market. The trench was covered and the stones, with which the bastion was manufactured, were used for the construction of the building. Finally, the construction of the Market began in 1911 and it was inaugurated by the Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos on December 4, 1913.


Relative Posts

The headquarters Venizelos / Therisos Movement Headquarters

So called the headquarters of the Revolutionary Assembly in 1905, in Therisos, which organized the homonymous revolution against the authoritarian rule of the High Commissioner George. Nowadays, the building has been converted into a museum for the exposition of weapons, objects from that period and evidence of the revolutionary action of Eleftherios Venizelos.

The Garden Clock

The Clock stands on the north-eastern side of the Garden and is one of the most characteristic recent monuments of the city. It was built in the period 1924-1927 to plans by D. Kollarou, has a tripartite structure and its roof is formed into a circular pavilion. Today it is inextricably linked to the historical route of the Garden and is a symbol and an integral part of it.

Venizelio Conservatory

The Venizelio Conservatory of Chania is located on Nikiforo Fokas Street and is housed in a privately owned neoclassical building founded in 1931 at the expense of Elena Venizelou. It has a theater hall, with a stage and a balcony, with a capacity of about 300 seats and belongs to the “Association for the dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete”. Today it hosts DI.PE.THE. of Crete and the mixed Choir of Chania.