Tour of the Monuments

The Church of St. Mary Magdalene


The church of Saint Mary Magdalene, the so-called “sovereign church”, was built when the High Commissioner of Crete, Prince George offered in early 1901 ten thousand rubles and the plans for the construction of a church, in memory of the stay in Chania of his sister Mary, wife of the Grand Duke of Russia George.

The Commissioner deposited the money in the Bank of Crete and the plans, which had been drawn up in Russia, were handed over to the Director of Public Works, Panzeiris, for him to study. It is a peculiar architectural type of temple with a rectangular hall that ends in a decorative dome of Russian form and is surrounded by a perimeter gallery. Finally, it was decided that the new church, with a capacity of 80 people, should be erected opposite the Palace and an Orthodox priest should work in it. The supervision for the execution of the project and the landscaping of the surrounding area was undertaken by the architect Christos Tso On January 6, 1903 the inauguration was held in a very intimate circle in the presence of Queen Olga of Greece, the Metropolitan of Crete Eugene and Prince George, Prince Lebesis’ aide-de-camp and the special secretary Papadiamantopoulos and his wife.

After his departure from Crete in May 1909, the Prince offered the church to the Municipality of Chania and Chalepa, in memory of the days he spent in Crete and the love with which the community of Chalepa surrounded him.


Relative Posts

The headquarters Venizelos / Therisos Movement Headquarters

So called the headquarters of the Revolutionary Assembly in 1905, in Therisos, which organized the homonymous revolution against the authoritarian rule of the High Commissioner George. Nowadays, the building has been converted into a museum for the exposition of weapons, objects from that period and evidence of the revolutionary action of Eleftherios Venizelos.

The Garden Clock

The Clock stands on the north-eastern side of the Garden and is one of the most characteristic recent monuments of the city. It was built in the period 1924-1927 to plans by D. Kollarou, has a tripartite structure and its roof is formed into a circular pavilion. Today it is inextricably linked to the historical route of the Garden and is a symbol and an integral part of it.

Venizelio Conservatory

The Venizelio Conservatory of Chania is located on Nikiforo Fokas Street and is housed in a privately owned neoclassical building founded in 1931 at the expense of Elena Venizelou. It has a theater hall, with a stage and a balcony, with a capacity of about 300 seats and belongs to the “Association for the dissemination of Fine Arts in Crete”. Today it hosts DI.PE.THE. of Crete and the mixed Choir of Chania.